Originally published at: https://accvi.ca/events/intro-to-rock/
Start or upgrade your outdoor rock climbing journey! This course goes over the basics of outdoor climbing and anchors. It will provide you with the knowledge to safely and effectively have an awesome day at the crag. This is a 3 day event, 1 day of IAG-led instruction followed by 2 days of ACC-led workshop to practice skills. Including an ACC-led evening session prior to the course to cover gear, knots, basic physics, and to prepare logistics for the workshop.
- Basic crag safety
- Gear checks (ropes, harnesses, etc)
- Rapelling with Back-up
- Use of Munter Hitch to belay & rappel
- TR Anchors: Sliding X w/ extension limiters, equalized anchor w/ figure eight or overhand
- Cleaning Anchors (removing anchor and establishing rappel)
Rentals are available for harness,helmet,shoes.
- Belay Device & Locking Carabiner
- Personal Anchor & Locking Carabiner
- Rappel Back-up (ie prussik cord) & Locking Carabiner
(Complete gear list upon registration)
The 2021 Intro to Rock will be held at Nanaimo River Crags.
We will be tenting at Mountainaire Campsite in Nanaimo. It will be up to participants to provide food and camping gear. (eg: tents, sleeping gear, eating\cooking equipment I may have/be able to acquire some things to borrow)