2020 Photo Contest

We need more photos for the image event of the year: the annual ACC-VI Photo competition!

Get your photos to Mary Sanseverino (up to 3 per ACC-VI member) by 8 PM on Tuesday, October 27, 2020.
Photo competition: Thursday, Oct 29, 2020

Back on Sept 23 I sent out a note asking for people to submit their images to the ACC-VI Photo show. I’ve received some lovely shots (thank you to those that have submitted!) - but we need more - more - more!

Winning photos will be featured in the Bushwhacker Annual, and all photos will be displayed on the ACC-VI Photos page. Janelle Curtis, our Island Bushwhacker Newsletter editor, may be getting in touch with you to see them used in the Newsletter too.

Categories and instructions are below .

CALLING ALL ACC-VI PHOTOGRAPHERS

We are pleased to announce that our world-famous ACC-VI Annual Photo Competition is going ahead!

******* Thursday, Oct 29, 2020 is the date *******

We are going virtual this year via Zoom. If you have a computer and an internet connection you should (if the technology gods cooperate) be able to attend: 6:50pm for sign on, show starts at 7:00pm. Zoom Meeting particulars will arrive via email closer to the date.

Of course, even if you can’t attend you can still CONTRIBUTE !! If you are an ACC-VI member please send your photos (maximum of 3 per member) to Mary Sanseverino at accvi.photos@gmail.com

Special note - I’ll be away up at Hišimy̓awiƛ from Oct 24 - 26th, so won’t be responding right away to photos sent to me over those dates - but send them anyway!! I’ll get to you as soon as I get back!!

The competition is open to all ACC-VI members in good standing and this year there will be a teeny-tiny bit of fortune along with glory for the winners. No more trophies (sorry about that for those of you who love them). This year the category prizes will be gift cards. Winning photos will be featured in the 2020 Island Bushwhacker Annual. All photos will be displayed on the ACC-VI Photos page. As well, Janelle Curtis, our Island Bushwhacker Newsletter editor, will want to use many in upcoming Newsletters.

All entries will be available for our viewing pleasure on the ACC-VI website after the competition closes.

This year the DEADLINE FOR PHOTO SUBMISSION IS 8 PM, TUESDAY, OCTOBER 27TH (see details below for how to submit an entry)

Please try not to leave your submissions to the last day, as it makes a lot of work for me!!

HERE ARE THE DETAILS:

• Limit of three photos per member to be submitted
  • Photos that do not fit category guidelines will not be entered into the competition
  • All submitted pictures must have been taken in a mountain setting within the last year
  • Please read to the bottom of this message . If photos are not submitted correctly and on time, they may not make it into the competition

CATEGORIES:

VI – Vancouver Island Mountains (with or without people)

AS – Summer Mountain Activity (people active in the mountains – summer)

AW – Winter Mountain Activity (people active in the mountains – winter)

MS – Mountain Scenery (no people)

NA – Nature: flowers, trees, plants, animals, birds, etc. taken in the mountains

HU – Humour: use your imagination!

HOW TO SUBMIT AN ENTRY:

• Email your digital images to Mary Sanseverino (accvi.photos@gmail.com) by 8 PM on Tuesday, October 27, 2020. No entries will be accepted after this deadline.

• I (Mary) will try to confirm receipt of all photos by return email. If you do not get confirmation within 48 hours, it is possible that your email has gone astray, so please resend! Special note - I’ll be away up at Hišimy̓awiƛ from Oct 24 - 26th, so won’t be responding right away to photos sent to me over those dates - but send them anyway!! I’ll get to you as soon as I get back!!

FILE NAMING – THIS IS IMPORTANT!

Each image you send should be named with CategoryAbbreviation-YourName-Caption
For example, For example, say I enter a photograph in the Mountain Scenery (MS) category. The file would be named as follows: MS-MarySanseverino-Mt Arrowsmith at dawn

A few things about this file name

• a dash separates the three components
  • it is Mt Arrowsmith (without the period) NOT Mt. Arrowsmith Please no commas, @, * and especially no periods in the Category Abbreviation, YourName, or Caption part of the file name.
  • Email your properly named digital images to Mary Sanseverino (accvi.photos@gmail.com) by 8 PM on Tuesday, October 27, 2020. No entries will be accepted after this deadline.

If you are sending the photo files directly from your mobile device you may have to do some digging to figure out how to change the name of your photo file. Do your best with it - you can contact me at accvi.photos@gmail.com if there are problems (although, if you email in a panic at midnight, don’t expect me to respond immediately!!).

IMAGE SIZE:

Be aware that some email programs shrink photos when sending them, so the quality is much reduced. Send a test file to yourself to make sure you are getting the full size. To display effectively in the competition each image file should within these 2 ranges:

Between 1280 pixels x 1024 pixels and 2048 pixels x 1536 pixels - bigger is fine too (4:3 ratio)

OR

Between 1920 pixels x 1080 pixels and 2048 pixels x 1152 pixels - bigger is fine too (16:9 ratio)

Looking forward to seeing all of your photos!! Let the cavalcade of images begin …

(posted on behalf of Mary Sanseverino)

PS - questions, need more info? Contact Mary personally

If you’re lucky enough to photograph in the mountains, you’re lucky enough!